As a prenatal yoga teacher, I admit that i might be biased in saying that every pregnant woman should practice prenatal yoga during pregnancy. However, the truth is, that I feel very strongly that prenatal yoga is a must during pregnancy for several reasons.
- Yoga will improve your mood: I have found my hormones and emotional ups and downs hard to handle during pregnancy, however, yoga leaves me feeling relaxed, at peace with my body and connected with my body.
- It will help you prepare for pregnancy: You will learn breathing and relaxing techniques that will help you during your labor and deliver.
- It can improve your sleep: If you have suffered from any of the pregnancy sleeping woes, you might be willing to try anything to get a peaceful nights sleep! Yoga can help ease the anxieties and worries that often plaque mamas-to-be so that you can calm your mind and fall asleep.
- It can help with aches and pains of pregnancy: I can honestly say that I have been free of lower back pain, leg aches and other pains and I attribute that to yoga during my pregnancy. If you do have aches and pains, the stretches and poses you do in yoga will help to ease those pains!
- It’s a great way to bond with other pregnant women: A prenatal yoga class with filled with other pregnant women in various stages of their pregnancy. These classes provide a supportive environment where you can ask questions, feel encouraged and bond with your baby.
It’s never too late to start prenatal yoga as you can start prenatal yoga at any stage during your pregnancy! Classes are available in most cities, however, if none are appealing to you, there are other options such as prenatal DVDs and online yoga classes such as those provided at yogaglo.com. It’s a subscription service and for only $18/month, you can access unlimited classes!